To ensure the best possible experience with MileIQ, please check this list to ensure MileIQ is set up to detect drives. All of these items can have an impact on MileIQ's effectiveness.
1. Are Location Services "On" for MileIQ? You can verify your location settings:
- on iOS by going to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services (On) > MileIQ > Always
- on Android by going to: Settings > Personal > Location > On
- IMPORTANT - iOS 11 now allows the option to only use location services when an app is in use which will prevent MileIQ from detecting drives consistently. Please ensure your location services for MileIQ are set to Always as selecting While in Use will prevent automatic drive detection.
- IMPORTANT - iOS also has a prompt that will appear from time to time and ask "MileIQ Has Been Using Your Location In The Background. Do You Want to Continue Allowing This?" In order for MileIQ to detect drives, you must choose "Continue" to this prompt. Selecting "Don't Allow" will disable location services and MileIQ will not detect drives
- IMPORTANT - "High Accuracy" mode is required on Android. You can check if it's on by going to Settings > Location > Mode > High Accuracy
2. Have you force-quit MileIQ? (by double-clicking the center iPhone button or square Android button and swiping the MileIQ app/icon off the screen)? On many versions of iOS and Android, all drive detection will stop if you do so. Please keep MileIQ running in the background of your device so that it can capture and record your drives.
3. Was MileIQ paused? If you pause the app periodically, please wait a bit before taking a drive after un-pausing. Depending on your location when you un-pause, it can take between 5 to 15 minutes for MileIQ to get accurate location information. If we don't get accurate location information before the drive starts, unfortunately the drive may be disregarded.
- On Samsung - this can be controlled by the “Smart Manager” app and by default will force-quit any app that hasn't been launched in 3 days. To see if this is the cause of the problems you were having, please check the following settings:
- Find the Smart Manager app on your device
- Click on Battery
- You should see an "App optimization" area near the top - Click Detail
- Select MileIQ from the list and change the setting to "Turned off for"
- On LG phones - consider disabling the Power Saving feature on your device for MileIQ. You can normally find this setting under Settings > General > Battery & Power saving.
- Motorola phones - some Motorola phones will have a built in Battery Optimization feature that will shut down the "activity of seldom used apps". To turn this off so MileIQ isn't shut down preventing drive detection, tap Apps > Settings > Battery. Then tap the menu button > Battery Optimization > All Apps. Find MileIQ and disable this optimization feature for it.
6. Is Wi-Fi enabled? Even when you aren't connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot (think - a coffeeshop), your mobile device uses the hotspot proximity (and if you live in/near a city, you pass thousands of them a day) to register location information. Wi-Fi is far more efficient on batteries than other location sources like GPS. You can turn on WiFi by going to Settings > Wi-Fi > On.
7. Is Background App Refresh/Data "On" for MileIQ? You can verify your background refresh/data settings:
- on iOS by going to Settings > General > Background App Refresh > MileIQ > On
- on Android by going to Settings > Wireless & networks > Data usage > Cellular data > On
• IMPORTANT - on Android, from both the Data Usage Menu icon (this can look different depending on device) and and the MileIQ icon under App usage, make sure "Restrict background data" is unchecked. Additionally, if you’ve set a cellular data limit, make sure that you have not crossed it recently.
- on iOS by going to Settings > General > Software Update > Download and Install
- on Android by going to Settings > System > About phone > System updates
- on iOS by going to App Store > Updates > MileIQ > Update
- on Android by going to Play Store > Settings (at the top left) > My apps > MileIQ > Update