To ensure the best possible experience with MileIQ, please reference your device's troubleshooting guide for detecting drives:
Read on for more general information on settings or actions that can have an impact on drive detection in MileIQ.
1. Are Location Services "On" for MileIQ?
You can verify your location settings:
- on iOS by going to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services (On) > MileIQ > Always
- Important - iOS 11 now allows the option to only use location services when an app is in use which will prevent MileIQ from detecting drives consistently. Please ensure your location services for MileIQ are set to Always as selecting While in Use will prevent automatic drive detection.
- on Android by going to: Settings > Security & Location > Location > On
- Important - "High Accuracy" mode is required on Android. You can check if it's on by going to Settings > Security & Location > Location > Mode > High Accuracy
Force-Quitting is done by double-clicking the center iPhone button or square Android button and swiping the MileIQ app/icon off the screen. On many versions of iOS and Android, all drive detection will stop if you do so. Please keep MileIQ running in the background of your device so that it can capture and record your drives.
3. Was MileIQ paused?
If you pause the app periodically, please wait a bit before taking a drive after un-pausing. Depending on your location when you un-pause, it can take between 5 to 15 minutes for MileIQ to get accurate location information. If we don't get accurate location information before the drive starts, unfortunately the drive may be disregarded.
4. Is your device restricting background data, app, or battery usage?
Some default settings/apps on Android devices are designed to automatically shut down apps and will prevent MileIQ's drive detection from running in the background of your device. This can cause gaps in your driving record, but is easily prevented. Check your Android device's steps to see how to prevent or resolve these issues for MileIQ: Optimize Drive Detection on Android Phones
- Third-party apps on iOS and Android that attempt to be Memory boosting, Data compression, task-killing, battery-saving, anti-virus or app management apps can interfere with MileIQ. Please disable them (or add MileIQ to the third-party app's Whitelist or Ignore List) to see if drive detection improves.
5. To ensure that MileIQ is not suspended from running in the background, please consider regularly opening the mobile app.
• Important - On iOS, your iPhone will occasionally ask "MileIQ Has Been Using Your Location In The Background. Do You Want to Continue Allowing This?" In order for MileIQ to detect drives, you must choose "Continue" to this prompt. Selecting "Don't Allow" will disable location services and MileIQ will not detect drives.
6. Is Wi-Fi enabled?
Even when you aren't connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot (think - a coffeeshop), your mobile device uses the hotspot proximity (and if you live in/near a city, you pass thousands of them a day) to register location information. Wi-Fi is far more efficient on batteries than other location sources like GPS. You can turn on WiFi by going to Settings > Wi-Fi > On.
7. Is Background App Refresh/Data "On" for MileIQ?You can verify your background refresh/data settings:
- on iOS by going to Settings > General > Background App Refresh > MileIQ > On
- on Android by going to Settings > Wireless & networks > Data usage > Cellular data > On
• Important - on Android, from both the Data Usage Menu icon (this can look different depending on device) and the MileIQ icon under App usage, make sure "Restrict background data" is unchecked. Additionally, if you’ve set a cellular data limit, make sure that you have not crossed it recently.
- on iOS by going to Settings > General > Software Update > Download and Install
- on Android by going to Settings > System > About phone > System updates
- on iOS by going to App Store > Updates > MileIQ > Update
- on Android by going to Play Store > Settings (at the top left) > My apps > MileIQ > Update
Make sure you’re signed in to the MileIQ app and using the correct email address.
You can verify by navigating to Account Settings in the main menu of the app. After “Signed in” you should see the email address associated with your account. Double check for any misspellings as a second account may have accidentally been created.