MileIQ detects drives so effortlessly that drives (and reimbursable value) can accumulate quickly. MileIQ is committed to helping keep the process of mileage reimbursement as simple as possible. We recommend staying up-to-date on your drives, setting up work hours, naming frequently visited locations, creating custom purposes, bulk classifying drives, and reporting your drives. Below is more information on our best practices to ensure that you're leveraging all of MileIQ's features to your advantage.
1) Stay up-to-date
The majority of MileIQ users feel like they get the most out of MileIQ when they keep up with classifying their drives. Here are a few tips to help you do so:
- Make it part of your routine - Set a recurring calendar event, let your weekly MileIQ email be a reminder, or just incorporate it into your other regular administrative tasks.
- Fit it into the spare moments - Whether you’re standing in line at the grocery store, waiting for your kids to get in the car or sitting through commercials that can’t be skipped, you can put otherwise idle times to good use by quickly classifying any new drives on your account.
- TIP: Keep in mind that it can take up to 15 minutes after a drive has ended for it to appear within the app.
- Add the MileIQ mobile app to your device's home screen - Having the mobile app on your home screen helps keep mileage tracking on your radar.
- TIP: For more information on how to do so:
- Make it fun - Challenge yourself to get through the previous day’s drives before your morning coffee finishes brewing, or give yourself a reward every time you get to the “100% Complete” screen for the month.
- TIP: Use the “All Months View” to see your classification stats for each month. Can you get to 100% complete?
The easiest way to ensure you're getting the most value out of MileIQ is to update to the latest version of MileIQ for iOS or Android. Many new features, and security updates, are released regularly, and if you're on an older version, you will not have access to them.
Staying on the latest version of iOS or Android is similarly important to ensure top performance of all applications on your device, including MileIQ. You can check for your phone settings to see if you are using the latest version:
- iOS Mobile App - Update your version of MileIQ on iOS by opening the App Store app on your device > Updates > MileIQ > Update
- iOS - Update your version of iOS by opening the Settings app > General > Software Update > Download and Install
- Android Mobile App - You can update the Android app by going to Play Store > Profile Image (at the top right) > Manage apps & device > Manage (tab at the top) > MileIQ > Update
- Android OS - Update your version of Android by opening Settings > About device (this can be named differently: 'phone' or 'tablet', for example or as a sub-menu: sometimes under a 'More' section, depending on the device) > Software update
2) Set Work Hours
Automate your drive classification with MileIQ's Work Hours feature. Simply set the business hours that you normally keep, and only drives within those hours will display in the app for you to classify. All other drives will be automatically classified as personal. You can always see all of your drives from our web dashboard and re-classify them if necessary.
Please see here for more information about how to set up auto-classification rules around your work hours with MileIQ.
3) Name your Locations
MileIQ's Named Locations feature makes it easy to remember trips and sort drives by the places you visit most often. Give unique names to all your most frequented destinations to enhance your experience with MileIQ! This is a great feature to use for your 'Home', 'Office', or even adding frequented clients to make recognizing drives even easier!
Please see here for more information about how to name your frequently visited locations with MileIQ.
4) Custom Purposes
Label your drives however you'd like with MileIQ's Custom Purpose feature. Once you do, you'll be able to classify drives with a custom purpose directly from the mobile app. Swiping a drive card halfway across the screen will reveal a blue "Choose Purpose" prompt.
Releasing the drive card at that point will bring up the MileIQ Custom Purpose grid with secondary classifications related to the primary category. Simply tap on the correct purpose, and the drive is now classified with the custom purpose.
Please see here for more information about creating custom drive purposes with MileIQ.
Please see here for more information about how to classify drives with custom purposes on MileIQ.
5) Search and Bulk Classify
MileIQ's web dashboard has powerful search capabilities! Use it to select of specific drives based on information around Custom Purpose, Named Location, date, vehicle, or even text in notes. Once the desired drives have been selected, you can easily classify them in bulk.
Please see here for more information about using search to classify drives with MileIQ.
6) Report drives
Once you've classified your drives it's time to report them! We've made this process even easier with our dashboard filter options.
Please see here for more information about requesting a yearly report with MileIQ.
For more information about requesting a monthly report with MileIQ.
It's that simple! With MileIQ, classifying, reporting, and getting paid for your drives has never been easier!