Wondering why a drive you’ve taken is not showing up in MileIQ? Most often, it can be explained by a few common reasons. Please use our interactive troubleshooting guide (or review the checklist below) to see if any of your app or device settings need to be updated. If that doesn’t resolve your issue, let us know. We’ll help investigate further and get you back on track!
Is your account currently logged in (and is it the correct account)?
* Make sure you’re signed in to the MileIQ app and using the correct email address. You can verify by navigating to Account Settings in the main menu of the app. After “Signed in” you should see the email address associated with your account. Double check for any misspellings as a second account may have accidentally been created.
Is MileIQ being force-quit (by pressing home and swiping off the screen)?
* Make sure you’re not force-quitting the MileIQ app. (Force-quitting happens when you double-click the home button (iOS) or tap the MileIQ icon in your task bar (Android) and then swipe MileIQ off your screen.) Although MileIQ is designed to restart automatically, this can be blocked by some older versions of iOS and Android. It also can take several minutes for the app to re-establish your location after restarting.
* Due to certain device settings on certain version of Android that limit all background network activity, be sure to regularly open MileIQ to ensure it isn't being shut off or limited by withholding your drives without your knowledge.
Is Drive Detection active or was MileIQ paused recently?
* Make sure that drive detection is active (not paused). In the main menu of the MileIQ mobile app you should see a green arrow next to "Drive Detection." You can also see if drive detection is active (or reactivate it if paused) by clicking into the Personalization section of the main menu. (Note that it can take a few minutes after unpausing for MileIQ to re-establish your location.)
Is your account upgraded?
* Remember that if you have a free Limited account, you'll only see your first 40 drives each month. (You can see all your drives for the current month if you upgrade, or wait until the start of the next month and have your drive counter reset.)
Are Work Hours enabled and was the drive outside of those hours?
* If you have Work Hours enabled, any drives outside those hours are being auto-classified as personal. These drives won’t appear in the mobile app, but you can see them on your MileIQ web dashboard (and re-classify or edit as needed).
Was this drive auto-classified as part of MileIQ's Frequent Drives feature (available on iOS mobile app)?
* If this drive is one that you have made at least 3 times and you've chosen to have it auto-classified as a Frequent Drive, your drive may have automatically been classified for you. You can see any frequent drives on your MileIQ web dashboard (and re-classify or edit as needed).
Was the drive too short?
* Note that distances of less than half a mile (0.8 km) and occasionally up to one mile (1.6 km) are not recorded as drives. For information on what determines a drive, please see here: What determines a drive?
Is your device on the latest version of MileIQ?
* You’ll get optimal performance from MileIQ when running the latest version of the app. If your device is not set up for automatic app updates, you can update manually.
- [iOS] Go to App Store > Updates > MileIQ > Update.
- [Android] Go to Play Store > Settings Button (at the top left) > My apps > MileIQ > Update.
MileIQ depends on various settings on your phone to capture drives. We'll go through this short checklist to make sure your phone's settings are optimized for MileIQ.
Are Location Services enabled?
* Be sure you have Location Services turned on for your device and enabled for MileIQ. MileIQ uses location services to determine when and where drives have started and ended; without this setting enabled no drives will be recorded.
- [iOS] In your device settings, make sure Privacy > Location Services > MileIQ is on and set to “Always.” (If you periodically see the prompt "MileIQ has been using your location in the background. Do you want to continue allowing this?" be sure to choose “Continue” for MileIQ to keep detecting your drives.)
- [iOS] Setting your device's locations services for "While Using" will prevent MileIQ's automatic drive detection from in the background. Make sure your Location Services are set to "Always" for automatic drive detection.
- [Android] Your device’s Location setting must be “On.” The Android settings menu varies by device, but you can usually find Location in the Personal, Permissions, General or Privacy and Safety section.
- [Android] Make sure you’re using the highest accuracy setting within Location, which can be done by choosing Mode > High Accuracy or by selecting “GPS, Wi-FI and mobile networks” as your Locating Method.
Is Background Refresh enabled?
* If you’re using an iOS device, confirm that Settings > General > Background App Refresh > MileIQ is set to “On.”
* It's recommended to open the MileIQ mobile app every few days to ensure drive detection isn't being shut down unknowingly by a device's battery optimization feature.
Is Cellular Data turned on?
* For the best drive and location quality, have data turned on for your device and for MileIQ.
- [iOS] Confirm that Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data is set to “On” and that Settings > Cellular > MileIQ is set to “On.”
- [Android] Make sure that the Cellular Data or Mobile Data setting is “On.” (The location of this setting varies by device, but look for it in the Data Usage section of your device settings.)
- [Android] IMPORTANT: In the Data Usage menu, make sure your device is not limiting mobile or background data for your device or for MileIQ. The exact setting name varies by device, but look for phrases like “Set Mobile Data Limit” and "Restrict Background Data," and make sure those settings are “Off” for data usage in general and the MileIQ app specifically. Additionally, if you’ve set a cellular data limit, make sure that you have not crossed it.
Is Wi-Fi enabled?
* Drive detection works best when your device has Wi-Fi enabled. Even when it’s not connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot, your device uses hotspot proximity to register location information. Make sure that Settings > Wi-Fi is set to “On.” (Note that you must have Location Services on as well, even with Wi-Fi enabled.)
*We've found that certain VPNs and workplace Wi-Fi can block MileIQ. If you're using a VPN, please turn it off and try logging in again. If you're having trouble logging in at a work, try it from a coffee shop or at home.
Is your device on the latest OS version?
* If you’re not already running the latest version of your device's OS, update it to ensure optimal functioning for background apps like MileIQ.
- [iOS] Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Download and Install.
- [Android] Go to Settings > System > About Phone > System Updates.
* For basic MileIQ System Requirements, please see here: System Requirements
Other Areas to Check on your Device
Are there any App conflicts?
* Data compression, task-killing, battery-saving, anti-virus or app management apps can interfere with MileIQ. Please try disabling them (or add MileIQ to the apps Whitelist or Ignore List) to see if drive detection improves.
On Android 7.0, a feature called Data Saver was recently introduced and is enabled by default. Data Saver can prevent drives from being saved while MileIQ is running in the background. Although, drives will remain on the device until the app is opened while connected to the internet; this can cause drives to show up after a long delay, making it seem as though no drives were caught. Opening MileIQ periodically will allow drives to be saved, but may take some time before they appear in the app. Alternatively, settings for Data Saver can be tuned to allow MileIQ to save drives as they are captured.
If you use a Samsung device, please know if you use Smart Manager. These app management systems work by shutting down background apps if they go a few days unopened. Only some Samsung devices have this feature, and it's easy to not realize it's enabled. Please confirm whether your device has this feature, because it may be on automatically without you realizing.
If you use Smart Manager with a Samsung device, please familiarize yourself with this setting, and if you use it, be sure to open MileIQ frequently enough that these task management systems don't shut it down in the background.
Please note that if you set Smart Manager to 'Always Optimizing' MileIQ will be unable to catch your drives.
For more information on these settings, see here: Optimize Drive Detection on Android Phones
Has your device been restarted recently?
* As a troubleshooting step, please power your device off and on again and then open MileIQ. Take a drive. Did this drive get saved?
* If your device has powered completely off and back on (for instance, to restart) -- and it has not been unlocked with your device passcode (PIN) -- drives may not get logged. Once the device is unlocked, drive logging should continue as normal.
Does your device have enough memory?
* Some device operating systems will suspend background apps like MileIQ if the device runs out of memory. To free up memory, try force-quitting any apps you’re not using by double-clicking the center "Home" button [iOS] or tapping the relevant app icons in your task bar [Android] and swiping those apps off your screen. (Learn more about managing storage on iOS and Android.)
Is there any hardware damage to your device?
* While rare, device antennas do occasionally get damaged to the point where they can no longer report location information back to MileIQ. If your device has recently been dropped or otherwise damaged, check with your device manufacturer or cellular carrier to see what types of diagnostic tests can be run.
If these fixes don’t resolve your issue, the next step is for us to review the log files for your device.
To have the logs sent to us automatically, please do the following:
- In the MileIQ mobile app, go to: Settings > Help > Help Center.
- Tap the conversation icon in the upper right-hand corner (looks like two chat bubbles).
- In the description, please include 1-2 examples of the start/end date, time and location of the missed drive(s).
- If you've completed this troubleshooting guide, please mention that in the description as well.
- Press the arrow to send.
A message will be sent to the Customer Success team and someone will be in touch shortly to follow-up.