iPhone and iPad Settings
MileIQ may miss drives due various settings on your phone. Below is a short checklist for iPhones and iPads to make sure your phone's settings are optimized for MileIQ. Android devices have their own optimization checklist.
Click or Tap the section below to expand for more information:
Be sure you have Location Services turned on for your device and set to “Always” for MileIQ. MileIQ uses location services to determine when and where drives have started and ended; without this setting enabled no drives will be recorded.
- Setting your device's locations services for "While Using" for MileIQ will prevent automatic drive detection in the background. Make sure your Location Services are set to "Always" for automatic drive detection.
- If you periodically see the prompt "MileIQ has been using your location in the background. Do you want to continue allowing this?" be sure to choose “Continue” for MileIQ to keep detecting your drives.
- For more information on this setting, please see here: Location Services on iPhones
For the best drive and location quality, have data turned on for your device and for MileIQ.
- Confirm that Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data is set to “On” and that Settings > Cellular > MileIQ is set to “On.”
Confirm that Settings > General > Background App Refresh > MileIQ is set to “On.”
- It's recommended to open the MileIQ mobile app every few days to stay up to date on your classifications and ensure drive detection isn't being shut down unknowingly by a third-party battery/memory optimization app.
Force-quitting happens when you manually close the MileIQ app via one of these methods (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201330) or use a battery/memory boosting app that disables background processes. Since MileIQ tracks drives in the background, force-quitting manually or with another app prevents drive detection from functioning properly.
Although MileIQ is designed to restart automatically, this can be blocked by some older versions of iOS. Also, it can take several minutes for the app to re-establish your location after restarting.
- Make sure MileIQ has been re-opened after being force-quit to ensure MileIQ has a stable fix on your location to capture your drives. Speed up the process by using turn-by-turn navigation (Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze, etc.) on your next drive.
Drive detection works best when your device has Wi-Fi enabled. Even when it’s not connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot, your device uses hotspot proximity to register location information. Make sure that Settings > Wi-Fi is set to “On.” (Note that you must have Location Services on as well, even with Wi-Fi enabled.)
- We've found that certain VPNs and workplace Wi-Fi can block MileIQ. If you're using a VPN, please turn it off and try logging in again. If you're having trouble logging in at a work, try it from a coffee shop or at home.
You’ll get optimal performance from MileIQ when running the latest version of the app. If your device is not set up for automatic app updates, you can update manually.
- Go to the App Store > Updates > MileIQ > Update.
If you’re not already running the latest version of your device's OS, update it to ensure optimal functioning for background apps like MileIQ.
- Go to your device's Settings > General > Software Update > Download and Install.
Make sure you’re signed in to the MileIQ app and using the correct email address. You can verify by navigating to Account Settings in the main menu of the app. After “Signed in” you should see the email address associated with your account. Double check for any misspellings as a second account may have accidentally been created.
Click or Tap the section above to expand for more information:
There are times when you should expect a drive to not be captured. For more information on these cases, please see here: When should I expect to not see a drive in the mobile app?
If these steps don’t resolve your issue, the next step is for us to review the log files for your device.
To do so, please fill out the form at support.mileiq.com and a message will be sent to the Customer Success team and someone will be in touch shortly to follow-up.