Classifying drives with MileIQ is a snap. On the mobile app: swipe right for business and left for personal. Looking for a way to speed things up or check your work? Use the MileIQ web dashboard (dashboard.mileiq.com - same email and password as the app) to classify drives in bulk or make edits.
After you've installed the MileIQ app, the next step is to take a drive. Until you take a drive, nothing will be displayed in the app, as the best part of MileIQ is the fact that drive detection is automatic! There's currently nothing to press to start or stop a drive.
Once the MileIQ app has detected that you've taken a drive, a drive card will automatically show up with start and end locations, mileage, and time. At this point, drive details can be added.
Business / Personal Classification
The primary classification categories with MileIQ is whether the drive was for business (swipe right) or for personal (swipe left). A simple swipe across the screen in either direction classifies the drive.
Custom Purpose Classification
MileIQ now offers Custom Purpose classification with a long swipe and pause on our mobile app. Swiping a drive card halfway across the screen will reveal a "Choose Purpose" prompt.
Releasing the drive card at this point will bring up the MileIQ Custom Purpose grid (on iOS) or a Custom Purpose list (on Android) with secondary classifications related to the primary category. Simply tap on the correct purpose, and the drive is now classified with the custom purpose.
As shown above (example screen for iOS), the default secondary Business purposes are:
- Between Offices
- Customer Visit
- Temporary Site
And the default secondary Personal purposes are:
The listed purposes can easily be added to and customized from the MileIQ web dashboard. For steps to create Custom Purposes, please see the How to: Create a Custom Drive Purpose article. Once the new purpose is added it will show up from the Custom Purpose Grid.
After your first classification, continue to drive as normal, allowing the app to capture all your drives. At the end of the month, you can create a report from our web dashboard (dashboard.mileiq.com) to submit to your employer or accountant for tax relief. That's it!
Once logged into the MileIQ Web Dashboard, you'll see all your recent drives from the drive list. You can classify drives individually or as a group.
To classify an individual drive, click on the checkbox next to the drive and a drive card will appear on the right-hand side of the dashboard.
Alternatively, simply click on the row containing the drive in the list and click either Personal or Business.
The drive card will show all the drive details, where a Purpose can be selected.
To classify a group of drives, you can use the search box (to find specific drives) and/or click on the top checkbox to select all drives in the list. Then, a multiple drive card will appear.
A purpose selected from the Group Drive Details pane will be applied to all selected drives.
And that's it! You've successfully classified drives from the MileIQ Web Dashboard.
- Circumstances may vary, but according to the CRA (and most employers), any trip from your home to an office location is a commute which is a personal expense. That said, it never hurts to ask your employer if they reimburse. Please consult your tax preparer if you have any further questions related to the reimbursement of travel expenses.
- A drive that has been classified incorrectly from the mobile app can be un-classified by tapping on the 'Undo button' at the bottom right of the app interface.
- Custom Purpose Classification requires MileIQ iOS version 1.3.4 and above or Android version 18.104.22.168 and above.
- For more information about what determines a drive, please see What determines a drive?
- If you're missing drives, please ensure your device is optimized per Drive detection best practices
- To automate the classification of drives, please take a look at the Work Hours feature
- Reference the MileIQ knowledge base (and bookmark the address) to get answers to future questions